Saturday, July 12, 2008

Brushing my mountain, I mean my teeth.



These pictures are not from Switzerland. But again I am waiting for the card reader.

I had a dream about people laughing in a car. That's all I can remember!! Sleeping the other way does work! :)

Swiss German sounds like rolling
Tumble
rolling
Tumble
rolling.

.:.:.
"He looked at me squarely, forcing me to face my fears. Now, My, if you're happy being miserable, enjoy it, but don't ask me to feel sorry for you. Just get all down i it and wallow around. Take your time to savor all its subtleties, but don't come to me expecting sympathy."
He knew me too well. It was true. I was loving the role of jilted lover. Deserted, yet carrying on. I saw myself as the heroine, solitary, standing under a streetlight's soft yellow glow. Waiting. Waiting. As the fog comes in, a gentle rain falls but doesn't drench her. It is just enough to make her shiver in her white raincoat (collar turned up) Oh, he knew me too well" (Maya Angelou)

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
pain attack. hot steaming.

Boredom is the cause of all evils
I made the worst decision today
and I blame it on the fact that
the clouds patched up the mountain
and I couldn't see it all day.
Doesn't the fog understand
that the mountain is my air
for my mind?
.:.:.
It's been raining all day. For the first time I see the mountain at 8:36PM, and there are so many MORE waterfalls than usual up at the top. Completely new! It has been raining for a straight 24 hours! I spent two of the last 24 hours talking to people! I spent another 3 reading Maya Angelou's auto biography, which is wonderful. I've become all literate and everything, doing things like reading and writing (the prior I would never normally take part in), but it's amazing what you'll get accomplished, and how insane you may become, with a lot of time on your hands. To those of you who know me, I am also becoming quite clean! I do laundry, clean the kitchen, take out the trash, like a pro!

Let me tell you a little about the culture here, there are 86 inhabitants of this small mountain town. In fact, when the hostel is full, it makes up more than half of the population of the entire town! Most people are farmers, and most people are over the age of 50. When I ask Petra why there is an age gap, and there aren't more than 3 babies in the area, she says "what do you want me to do? Ask the swiss festival?-Why are you not having babies?" She likes to give me a hard time. Her and Nicole have dark hair and olive skin, this is due to their greek heritage. Petra says that they are waiting for all the old people to die, so that more people can move in the town. Of the locals here i know there is the cable operator, Esther (who sells yoghurt), the man who walks around with a walking stick all day (but has a blearing cell phone), the Brunners, Petra's friend Ruth, and Veronica-the girl who helps out at the hostel and also runs the bar. Veronica has a very typical German face (very pretty) wears a lot of blue eye shadow and pig tails, and really is the social butterfly that some times I try to be. While hiking, it's easy to pick out the locals, because they walk faster-and always use hiking sticks. It's not "hallo" that you say but "grootsi" that is the phonetical spelling of it. The swiss men are, attractive-which is odd for me to say since I have never before been attracted to men outside of a different culture from my own. Hard work and knowing how to do things well is at high importance for the people of Gimmelwald. I think many of them are fascinated by the city, and don't mind loud voices at times because the mountain itself I think can get too quiet. Not having flat land doesn't phase them at all. Their houses, farms, cradles, whatever are all perched on almost vertical planes throughout the community. Like people, they give back what you give. They enjoy bread wine and cheese like most Europeans and every single one speaks some english. There is one school of seven children, but many of the kids (like nicole) go to school down in the valley, where there are bigger towns. Nicole is 17 and has been living on her own for a year now. They seem to have pride in exclusive relationships, and everything is run on a person who knows someone else person. To be expected of a small town. Their bodies are great, you can see the sun on their face as well as their heart on their face, and all though they are stocky, they seem to be very strong. The rest of the culture I know is in the hostel. Many newlyweds, or people taking the "European tour" for the first time. They all sleep in bunks, and I am the only one with my own room so that adds to a lot of the isolation. The party-ers play in the hot tub at night with their drinks, the younger kids play in the pool room, and every one else eats together in the room with wooden tables that I clean in the morning. I seem to gravitate towards people in their early 30's or above, and less of the party crowd. I really wonder what people think of me here sometimes, and why a lot of people don't start off conversations. Sometimes I get bored of the "where are you going" and "how hard is Shilthorn" conversations, but every once in awhile you hear about being on Wheel of Fortune, or maybe a son is traveling with his father who is an engineer. But mostly, it's a little lonely.

One more hour with everyone! Rosti and Pasti! A Swiss German Dish and a French Liquor! Another traveler from Woof has me stared on the idea of communal meal posters!

Speaking of ideas, I want to create a pee recording which you can bring into the bathroom with you that makes things less awkard between oyu, and your neighbor peer. ;)
.:.:.
Funny Quote of the day

Amanda "You are good at cleaning" !

No comments: